Sunday, July 24, 2011

The proposal: June 20, 2011

WARNING: THIS IS PROBABLY NOT WHAT YOU'RE EXPECTING...
I knew the ring was ready as I was with Nick when he received the phone call. So, when Nick picked me up at 8:30 PM and took me up the mountain , brought dessert and a blanket while we watched the sunset (something he’s never done), I knew this was it. Plus, I could tell he was nervous. After sitting there for what seemed like an eternity, he told me the ring shop was closed today and that he wanted to do something nice for me because he felt bad because he knew how heartbroken I was that he had not yet proposed. I believed him for about 2 seconds and then realized that was not the case. But I played along and got a little sad, since I know that was probably the best he could come up with. We packed up the stuff and headed toward the car. He then told me to set everything down, held me tight as he told me he loved me more than anything in the whole world and that he wanted to be with me forever. He then got down on one knee and proposed. I said yes. By this point, I was exhausted and not looking cute because I was in my comfy cozy clothes. Plus, I found out neither of my parents knew he was proposing – so I had no idea how to go home and tell them that we were engaged and would be married 6 weeks later. My dad was good with it (even though it’s too bad Nick didn’t get the memo that you should probably ask or at least hint to the father of your interest in marrying his daughter – but who am I to be all traditional?). My mom’s reaction was interesting. I’ll leave it at that. If you know my mom, you know exactly what I mean. I went to bed not knowing exactly what to think and didn’t call a single soul to tell them. I waited until the next morning. Needless to say, my excitement levels were not usually where they ‘should’ be after a proposal. I love Nick very much and there are many things about him that cause me to know without a doubt that I want to marry him, but he has no romantic side to him whatsoever. So, was I kind of disappointed in the proposal after I TOLD him some great ideas and that he had lots of time to plan it while I was in Florida for a week? Yes. But, did I expect something more? No – although I hoped. A girl can dream can’t she? At least I know without a doubt that Nick will love me forever and do the best he can to take care of me and our family. And that’s the most important thing. However, I still pray for the day when Nick’s little surprises are more than a loud burp or something… Haha.

Now I understand that some of you have even better (and by better, I mean worse) proposal stories than me, but it's all the same idea - it wasn't quite what we had hoped. But we love them anyway, right? :)

2 comments:

kelli said...

a ha ha... RIGHT.
DangitJim! Sorry, Liz :| But wooohoo you're engaged!! Mandy tried to help...she really did! And it's so funny that you even gave him ideas! Keep helping him out--he's GOTTA catch on SOMEtime, right??? I'm so happy for you, though! Congratulations!

Mandy said...

Yes, we still love them anyway. I can relate with a little bit of an anticlimactic engagement. And I don't think Paul was planning on asking my dad until I pretty much made him... *sigh*. We still love them. Lots and lots. :)